Position Title: Urban Designer
Department: Urban Design
Location: Toronto Office
What the Job?
The Urban Designer position will play a key role on the team, contributing urban design advice (written and graphic) to studies, reports, master plans, block plans, massing studies and built form analyses. The successful candidate will work in an engaging, collaborative, professional services environment that offers the opportunity to be involved in a range of challenging and professionally rewarding projects primarily across the Greater Toronto Area.
- Assist in the preparation of urban design studies, reports, master plans, block plans, massing studies and built form analyses, including both graphic and written components.
- Carry out research into planning and urban design policy and site history.
- Assist in the preparation and submission of development applications.
- Assist with the preparation of materials for OLT, TLAB and other tribunals.
- Carry out site visits, taking notes, and photography as required
- Collaborate with clients, consultants, government agencies, and other experts.
- Carry out site visits, taking notes, and photography as required.
- Discover and mastering new tools and visualization techniques.
- Provide exceptional service to clients in a timely and efficient manner.
What would make me the right fit for the role?
- 3 – 5 years of related work experience in land use planning and development approvals.
- An undergraduate degree in urban planning, urban studies, geography, or a related field; a graduate degree is considered an asset.
- An understanding of the TLAB, OLT and other tribunals, and their processes.
- Strong project management skills, including the coordination of multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Membership in the Ontario Professional Planners Institute (OPPI) an asset.
- Strong research skills and knowing where to find the right information using a variety of tools.
- A proactive approach to work, an ability to work independently, a collaborative work style, and an ability to hit the ground running.
- Exemplary organizational skills.
- Strong skills working with Microsoft Office tools – particularly PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, and Adobe.
- Degree in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Urban Design or Planning
(with a focus on Urban Design) from an accredited university or college.
- The ability to carry out site visits, taking notes, and photography as required. A G license is an asset, but not required.
- Attend and participate in community consultations, evening and weekend meetings as required.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your cover letter, resume, and PDF portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only candidates that provide a PDF portfolio will be considered. (Maximum PDF file size 20MB required). We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Bousfields is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.