Position Title: Planner
Department: Urban Planning
Location: Toronto Office
We are a thriving interdisciplinary team of planners, urban designers, and community engagement specialists. We have evolved through the diversity and complexity of our projects and the capabilities and experiences of the people who work here. We have grown through our in-depth understanding of policy process and industry best practices. Big or small, our projects range from residential to institutional and commercial.
We collaborate with team members of different disciplines, challenged every day by the diversity and impact of the work we do. This ensures that our clients receive the highest quality of service. Applications are approved. Visions are realized. Communities are informed. Projects move steadily forward with maximum efficiency, creativity, and a success rate that makes us all proud. We are currently working in a hybrid environment.
As an Urban Planner you will have 3-5 years of progressively responsible and relevant experience in land use planning and development approvals in a public and/or a private practice which must include experience with the planning framework of the GTHA. You have experience and understanding of Subdivisions, Official Plan amendments, Zoning amendments, Site plans and Committee of Adjustments, and thorough knowledge of provincial & municipal policy with deep understanding of the Planning Act and its requirements with respect to all planning applications and appeals. You are interested in developing skills/accreditation in related planning disciplines such as mediation, project management, urban design, affordable housing, or economic development. You are tech savvy (i.e. Office 365) and have strong verbal and written communication skills are required.
What’s the job?
- Prepare reports dealing with a wide range of development and application types.
- Collaborate in the preparation of planning opinions and analytical reports for a wide range of planning studies, plans and applications.
- Coordinate the preparation and submission of development applications including OPA, rezoning, subdivision, variance, and consents.
- Obtain experience in presenting to the public, Committees and Councils, clients, and stakeholders.
- Conduct and review research data and information on a variety of properties across the GTHA (and other municipalities as required) including Official Plan policies, zoning, and staff reports used as basis for preparing reports, memos, and other related materials.
- Assist and coordinate the preparation and management of an expanded range of application types; collaborate with senior staff in responding to issues raised.
- Collaborate with clients, consultants, government agencies, and other experts.
What would make me the right fit for the role?
- 3 – 5 years of related work experience in land use planning and development approvals.
- An undergraduate degree in urban planning, urban studies, geography, or a related field; a graduate degree is considered an asset.
- An understanding of the TLAB, OLT and other tribunals, and their processes.
- Strong project management skills, including the coordination of multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Strong research skills and knowing where to find the right information using a variety of tools.
- A proactive approach to work, an ability to work independently, a collaborative work style, and an ability to hit the ground running.
- Exemplary organizational skills.
- Strong skills working with Microsoft Office tools – particularly PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, and Adobe.
- The ability to carry out site visits, taking notes, and photography as required. A G license is an asset, but not required.
- Attend and participate in community consultations, evening and weekend meetings as required.
- Membership in the Ontario Professional Planners Institute (OPPI) an asset.
If this sounds like you, and you are interested in this position, we’d like to hear from you. Email us using subject: Bousfields Planner, with your resume and an introduction of who you are to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 1, 2024. If we think you might be a good fit for our team, we’ll get in touch and set up a time to meet in-person.
Please note, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bousfields is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.